Just received BodyFlow 57: thoughts on it.

Last post 07-26-2012, 1:41 PM by marianck. 32 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
  •  05-24-2012, 8:38 AM 132600 in reply to 132596

Re: Just received BodyFlow 57: thoughts on it.

Personally I loved 56 musically and didn't hate the chorey- however many of our participants are more "mature" and not as, um, limber as our 30-something instructors, and for some reason it didn't receive the love we had for it :/ Not to say age should be a limitation- especially in BB/BF- the group in the dvd are probably not all 20yr olds but are amazing!

Just got and did 57 last night after taking PUMP- from the standpoint of someone doing the class a while I thought the chorey was pretty good- and really enjoyed the strong challenges in this one! Definitely can prove anyone who doesn't think BB/BF is a workout WRONG!!

Musically, though- I didn't connect to it either on first pass.  I was even surprised- I was excited for "Whole lotta love" but not so much when I did the track itself. Now it's time to listen to my releases on repeat ad nauseam, and that's when I find my connection to it when it's not there initially.

My only concern is that our members (who make up almost half our population in class) who have struggled even with the hip openers and side planks in 56 (which I enjoyed btw :) ) will not feel challenged but discouraged with this release.  Looks like the challenge to my group as instructors is to stay true to the release and make the challenges available for those who want them while allowing the others to feel a little challenged but still successful.

Filed under:
  •  05-24-2012, 7:31 PM 132627 in reply to 132600

I loved 56, too, from the beginning. My gym had a training on it, so we got to see it a lot, and I still loved it. I got increasingly uncomfortable with the words to track 3, they just struck me as more and more against the essence of the program and very loud about it.... but it still didn't ruin the track for me completely. Some really beautiful moments and overall a really excellent release.

I'm easing my way into 57. My first impression of Tai Chi is that the song is great and the movements have a beautiful balance of flow, focus and energy. I do see a lot of potential for sloppiness when the back of hand block is added in, however - but that's an instructor concern, nothing that would block participants' enjoyment of the flow. For instructors, it's going to be more important than ever to be very precise in the movement for it to keep its graceful appearance. 

Also, and most importantly, poor Jackie! I'm glad she's taking care of herself and giving her shoulder a rest. I always look forward to my quarterly "visits" from Jackie, though, and she is missed.

•  05-24-2012, 7:33 PM 132628 in reply to 132627

Oh, forgot to mention - I'm pretty sure I hate the opening to the sun salutations - that music is too jarring. I'm happy with the rest of the track, just that bit makes me want to run.
  •  05-24-2012, 7:45 PM 132629 in reply to 132628

I'm watching track 7 now and actually LOL'd - Firefly, right!

Oh, that's some inspired sort of yoga crazy there...

•  05-24-2012, 7:56 PM 132630 in reply to 132629

I should've just written one post and combined all of this huh? Sorry I got carried away. Usually I do the release one time through before sitting with the notes. So just sitting at my computer watching it I felt compelled to talk about it!

I am very impressed, overall. Ready to dig in and start learning and practicing! 

It's a little weird to see Lululemon on the team so soon after a new LM clothing line launch. Especially since it looks so much better on them than the orange did. Definitely doesn't make me want to go buy the orange! (Did anybody buy the orange???)

Finally, I just have to say how great Laurence is. She's such a warm, beautiful, gifted presenter. I always love to see her on a release. 

•  05-25-2012, 11:59 PM 132668 in reply to 132630

I agree completely- Laurence is AMAZING- she is an absolute stand out presenter for me. Not only is her teaching amazing but her form is superb. Both of her tracks give me shivers....
  •  06-10-2012, 7:05 AM 133255 in reply to 132222

thank you for sharing all the feelings about each track...i m excited to wait  bb 57...

•  06-10-2012, 11:05 PM 133277 in reply to 133255

Have to share this funny thing that happened to me today. 

I was practicing BB57 today at a gym (needed the full-body mirror work to check alignment).  I had my earphones on listening to the music on my ipod.  So, there I am, starting with the Tai Chi.  Two very muscly guys start to look at me rather strangely whilst they are busy pumping their heavy weights and grunting.  Sun Salutations drew a further weird look and they did a double take when I went into the full side-planks.  Standing Strength, they stopped and watched for a while, then their eyes almost popped out when I finished with the Extended Warrior with Fingers Linked.

I started the Balance track and they went about their business again - obviously because I'm doing "ballet" Big Smile which must be too feminine for them (meanwhile, I am starting to sweat because it's such a hard, strong track - I'm not at my best with the Balance tracks - way hard!).  They were again grunting up a storm, pumping weights in the Hip Opener track. 

So, along comes the Core Abs track.  I actually heard them snigger over the music when I was crossing my legs and crunching up.  No worries, it doesn't look all that hard does it?  Meanwhile, my abs are seriously hurting.  So, they caught sight of the "Walking Planks" and started to watch again.  So here's where it becomes even better - the Core Back track.  Now, they can't hear the music, all they can see is some chick pumping out some serious "Pullback to Fireflys" on her toes, then into full Plank/Side Plank and Crocodile/Side Plank.  If I wasn't so busy, I would've picked their jaws back up off the floor for them.

Now I'm relaxing into the last two tracks, whereupon I look over to the stretch part of the gym, to see both guys attempting the "Pullback to Fireflys" - and not doing very well at all.  In fact, one of them has even fallen flat on his tummy and is just lying there shaking his head.  The other guy is trying the Crocodile to Side Plank.  Only, it's not in 8cts per move, it's more like 28cts for one Crocodile, and 4cts to get half a Side Plank - I can hear a lot of grunting over my music and it looks painful.

At the end, I'm rolling up my mat and putting my shoes on.  The two guys walk over and start to chat to me about what I was doing and how hard it was.  So now, the Bodybalance Instructor at this gym will be seeing these two guys on a regular basis in her class/s.  They never heard the music, they just watched the moves and liked what they saw.  Go Bodybalance! Yes

Oh, and yes, I am very sore from practicing, and that "Leg lift/arm lift to Reverse Half Moon" in the Hamstrings track is really tough!  

•  06-11-2012, 8:20 PM 133296 in reply to 133277

That's a great story! Thanks for sharing. Sometimes we forget how athletic BodyFlow is until we see it through outside eyes!

•  06-16-2012, 8:21 AM 133451 in reply to 132513

I'm glad to read that I am not the only one bothered by the song choices recently made for BB/BF. It is a mystery to me how Led Zepplin is a good fit for a yoga based program. Even the most vigorous of yoga practices don't embrace the frenetic energy of Whole Lotta Love and Happy not to mention the overt sexual nature of the Zepplin lyrics. Although I like the music, I know my practitioners (mid-age New Englanders) are going to be as unhappy with it as they were with Beyonce belting out 'ass' and 'sucks to be you'. It's just not appropriate for this kind of exercise program and even less so in a gym setting. Wit h literally millions of song choices available, why choose these? I'm looking forward to 58 :-).
  •  06-29-2012, 3:08 PM 134031 in reply to 132222

I done the new Les Mills Body Balance release today. It was definitely hard going in some of the tracks but challanging!
  •  07-05-2012, 8:48 PM 134247 in reply to 132518

I second that!
  •  07-13-2012, 7:44 AM 134666 in reply to 133451

On the new release - I am practicing with an instructor who feels she is SO good at BodyFlow that she dismissed even the trainers for going to fast in the Warm Up. She told me only to watch Laurence (as I was watching Arja).

I have been to Module One for BodyFlow and I am working on Set up Cues, Follow Up cues, Safety, and scripting, she wants me to count everything, I am musically inclined and hear the phrases and feel the music. I admit that at times (Sun sal) counting helps. She admits she is controlling and unfortunately I must practice with her today for our launch. The type A personality doesn't even allow the presenters to be good enough for her. I feel defenseless because there is no setup for instructors to relax, enjoy, and to feel the music. (I love 54 where the point was to feel the music)  

Oh well, I must prepare to count out everything today. She insists we teach BodyFlow ALL the same. Same choreography I agree but we have different things we bring to BF - I love people to relax, feel the music and how it strenghtens, or calms, uplifts or strikes emotions.

hmm, My challenge today "To Be The Calm In The Storm" -

•  07-13-2012, 1:54 PM 134682 in reply to 132668

nielskat:
    I agree completely- Laurence is AMAZING- she is an absolute stand out presenter for me. Not only is her teaching amazing but her form is superb. Both of her tracks give me shivers....

It's interesting how different people are.  I had to turn the presenter voices off during standing strength track, as the non stop talking was making me grind my teeth.  Beautiful form, graceful, knowledgeable and great connection, but for me, I really wanted more than one 10 second bit of silence so I could appreciate the amazing music.  It always makes me wonder what they consider "overtalking" is, considering we get education with our kits to silence it up.

•  07-13-2012, 5:48 PM 134688 in reply to 134682

Jco97:

nielskat:

It's interesting how different people are.  I had to turn the presenter voices off during standing strength track, as the non stop talking was making me grind my teeth.  Beautiful form, graceful, knowledgeable and great connection, but for me, I really wanted more than one 10 second bit of silence so I could appreciate the amazing music.  It always makes me wonder what they consider "overtalking" is, considering we get education with our kits to silence it up.

Oh yes, I totally agree with you!  At our quarterlies, our Balance Presenter yapped quietly all the way through the relaxation/meditation.  Seriously, I wanted to yell out "Shut up!"  Just take us into relaxation and be quiet thereafter until you bring us out.

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
-->