How many burned calories?

Last post 10-07-2007, 11:46 PM by metroman. 29 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
  •  10-04-2007, 6:30 PM 15593 in reply to 15423

Re: How many burned calories?

I've worn a Polar F6 for over a year as a participant, but I have yet to as an instructor.  I usually burned right around the 500-600 that Les Mills advertises.  Some routines are harder than others (i don't want to know what I burn during my "Favorites" aka Welcome Back Students mix).  I should strap it on next time I teach to find out what I do up front.

Details: Male 26, 6'0, 170 pounds

•  10-04-2007, 6:36 PM 15594 in reply to 15581

According to the Bodypump program manual:  "on average, 473 calories per class....16.7% of calories burned came from fat, 83.3% from carbohydrate supply."

That's LMI research...what about the other LMI programs?  Anyone know about RPM, BS. BA, or BC??

•  10-05-2007, 12:24 AM 15608 in reply to 15594

I have read that it is 600 calories for RPM.  But I think that would be approximate. I would say Boxercize would expend even more energy and calorie expenditure.

•  10-05-2007, 2:55 AM 15623 in reply to 15423

Hi you can burn up to 600 calaries in one BodyPump class

Cheeers

A

•  10-05-2007, 3:09 AM 15625 in reply to 15623

I would agree with you.     I do both BP and Rpm and Rpm is definetly far more aerobic in nature.   In a study which  gave a breakdown of the energy systems involved at Auckland University, BP came out quite well in how it contributes to Vo2 performance, but RPM was around 20% more effective.  That's still pretty good though.

•  10-05-2007, 12:18 PM 15666 in reply to 15625

As a regular Bodypump class participant who does not measure calories burned I know from several female classmates who do wear and use monitors that on average they burn 380 calories per Bodypump class. These are fit girls who challenge themselves with the weights and rely on intensity. So 600 calories burned per class according to Les Mills seems optimistic.

Similarly on RPM classes the same girls burn on average 500 calories per class much the same as the RPM class instructors.

I believe there is convincing evidence that RPM is consistently the biggest calorie burner.

Me I just love Bodypump for fitness and enjoyment (masochism!).

•  10-05-2007, 3:08 PM 15675 in reply to 15666

I do not wear a heart rate monitor anymore, but, when I remember on more than one occasion burning 750+, my average was around 700. One of the guys in class today was wearing one and he said he was at 725. Everyone is different so the numbers will be different.

As for RPM, around 600 was average. But in a SPIN class, 800 was average.

•  10-05-2007, 4:00 PM 15676 in reply to 15423

BP burns calories for up to 48 hours after the class. The amount of extra calories depends on the intensity of the class and your body composition.

Here is some interesting information about the calories that are burned after exercise.

Weight Loss: Calories In vs. Calories Out

To lose fat, there must be an energy deficit. Energy expended exceeds energy intake. Weight loss occurs by decreasing the amount of calories consumed. This method tends to have a rebound effect with a regain of fat weight when the person returns to a normal diet.

How Resistance Training Effects Metabolism

To understand how resistance training effects metabolism, it’s helpful to think of the effects of exercise over a 24 hour period. Thermic Effect of Activity, accounts for about 15-30% of energy expenditure, Thermic effect of feeding accounts for about 10% or energy expenditure, and resting metabolic rate accounts for 60-75% of energy expenditure.

Strength training doesn’t burn as many calories during an exercise bout as aerobic exercise. However, strength training or resistance training causes a gradual increase in muscle mass which increases the basal metabolic rate (the calories required to maintain basic body functions throughout the day or night). As the metabolic rate increases, more calories are needed to perform daily functions.

Post-Exercise Energy Expenditure

EPOC, excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, refers to the calories expended (above resting values) after an exercise bout. This is the amount of oxygen the body is utilizing to return itself to its pre-exercise state. (Borsheim and Bahr, 2003) Studies have found that the magnitude and duration of EPOC is dependent on the intensity and duration of exercise. It can take 15 minutes to 48 hours for the body to recover to a resting state.

For every liter of oxygen consumed, approximately 5 calories are burned. EPOC was significantly longer following the highest intensity exercise. i.e. Cardiovascular training at 70-85% VO2 Max has a higher EPOC than exercising at 60-70% or 50%.

EPOC for resistance training was also longer following intense exercise bouts. In a study by Gilette et al. (1994), resistance training (5 sets, 10 exercises, 8-12 reps at 70% 1-rep max) elicited a greater EPOC response when compared to aerobic exercise (50% VO2 for 60 minutes) Circuit resistance training elicits an even greater EPOC response.

Putting It All Together

Although, there are variations in individual responses, additional caloric expenditure following exercise can have a positive effect over time and may contribute to long-term weight management. Cardiovascular training at or above 70% VO2,(almost every day) along with strength training or resistance training twice per week will have a positive effect on decreasing body fat and increasing lean body mass.

•  10-05-2007, 4:29 PM 15678 in reply to 15676

Yeah. We get the general idea burn more calories than what you have consumed. Blah blah.    You don't need to turn it into rocket science. When you  really gun it at pump and your nutrition is right, you'll look hot.  Forget all the equations it works and you don't need a science degree to tell you that,Smile
  •  10-05-2007, 4:47 PM 15679 in reply to 15678

metroman:
    Yeah. We get the general idea burn more calories than what you have consumed. Blah blah.    You don't need to turn it into rocket science. When you  really gun it at pump and your nutrition is right, you'll look hot.  Forget all the equations it works and you don't need a science degree to tell you that,Smile

You are right in that you don't need a lot of knowledge to be successful using Les Mills programs. And that is a wonderful thing for participants. But it never hurts for instructors to know as much as possible about what is going on inside the body. 

Some of us have science degrees and are in it for total health - not just "to look hot".

•  10-06-2007, 1:21 AM 15691 in reply to 15679

Well I would have thought training for total health was a prerequisite for being in the best condition you can get in. It really isn't that complicated. And if getting a hard toned body is a by-product of that then so be it.
  •  10-06-2007, 12:57 PM 15724 in reply to 15594

There are research about this Issues:

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/bodypump.htm

a) Stanforth, D., Stanforth, P.R., & Hoemeke, M.P. (2000). Physiologic and metabolic responses to a body pump workout. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 14, 144-150

b) Lythe J., Pfitzinger, P. Caloric expenditure and aerobic demand of Bodystep, Bodyattack, Bodycombat and RPM. Auckland: UniSports Centre for Sport Performance , University of Auckland, New Zealand, 1999:15.

c) Lythe, J., Pfitzinger, P. and Ho, D. The Physical and Psychological Response to 13 weeks of Structured Group-fitness Exercise in Untrained Individuals. Auckland: UniSports Centre for Sport Performance, University of Auckland, New Zealand, 2000:33.

•  10-06-2007, 6:47 PM 15741 in reply to 15679

Right on, stevemcmahon! I think the scientific end of what we are doing as instructors/participants is fascinating, and the more we can increase our knoweledge and really quantify what we are doing, the better!  It's all about the why behind the what! 
  •  10-06-2007, 7:53 PM 15745 in reply to 15423

MrsPingu:
    Does anybody know how many calories 60 minutes of Body Pump burns? I am a woman, 75 kilos, 174 cm.

600 calories or so, but what's the point?  It's certainly not to see how many calories you can burn in a BP session; Go do a cardio class for that.  To maximize the advertised benefits of BP, try to minimize the number of calories burned during the session by staying relaxed, and focusing on only the targeted muscle group in each track.

SteveMcMahon went into quite a bit of detail in his post about how you can lose weight by doing BP without burning a lot of calories during the session.

Believe it! Enjoy the class more. And enjoy the additional results.

Rex

Check out my facebook page. I'm always looking for a few good friends. Oh, Excuse me... May I motivate you?
  •  10-07-2007, 11:46 PM 15820 in reply to 15745

I agree, I use BP as more of a muscle conditioning exercise. RPM, cycling and good nutrition generally take care of the calorie burning for me.
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML
-->