best shoes for bodyjam & sh'bam??

Last post 07-23-2011, 9:44 PM by broyo7. 9 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  •  04-14-2011, 8:30 AM 106374

best shoes for bodyjam & sh'bam??

having a CRAZY time finding the right amount of slip and movement in shoes for all the movements-- any recommendations?? brands, styles, etc?

help! Confused

Filed under: ,
  •  04-16-2011, 4:50 AM 106478 in reply to 106374

Re: best shoes for bodyjam & sh'bam??

Depends on the grip of the floor, but flat soled shoes will give you greater movement and reduce risk of twisting knees. In professional dancing they use suede or leather soles which may work better but I have yet to see anyone wearing at a gym.
  •  04-17-2011, 9:08 PM 106567 in reply to 106374

faceartist:

having a CRAZY time finding the right amount of slip and movement in shoes for all the movements-- any recommendations?? brands, styles, etc?

help! Confused

Main thing for me would be to make sure that the shoe has a pivot point on the sole Smile
  •  04-20-2011, 3:21 PM 106787 in reply to 106374

Hey there James/Faceartist,

I went through a short phase of wearing proper jazz dance shoes to wear as a participant in Jam.  I say 'short phase' as the soles (suede I think) wore out &/or started to come apart pretty quickly while Jammin' on a carpeted floor.  If you're teaching a few classes a week in studios / rooms with carpet you might go through a few pairs..... :-(  

I seem to remember my Jam instructors wearing all sorts of trainers / sneakers - I do remember a pair of Nike ones with the velcro strap things, other than those I just remember looking at their shoes and thinking "they look cool!" 

When I bought my last pair of trainers/sneakers to teach Combat in I spent a good while jumping, shufling and round-housing etc in them whilst in the shop - yes, it was a quiet trading day and yes the shop staff and passers by were amused! lol!  Was worth the little road test as they are ACE for Combat :-)

Happy shopping........

•  04-22-2011, 9:17 AM 106930 in reply to 106374

When I first started teaching Jam I wore Nike LunarSwift trainers, which have a flat sole but manage to pivot well. I switched to Nike Dunks though for the cool factor (G wears them a lot I think) and they've worked fantastic! Little bit of cushion, plenty of support, but plenty of mobility too.

I wear Nike Air Max running shoes to teach Attack, but wouldn't dream of using them for Jam - I'd probably roll an ankle doing a step ba-ba or something! Yes, I'm a Nike addict, but they fit my feet well, what can I say?

•  05-11-2011, 11:03 PM 108737 in reply to 106374

Hey, I've been dancing all of my life and have used Hip-hop/dance sneakers because they are basically sneakers but with an arch that allows you to point your feet, and a smooth bottom that allows you to move easily, and twist and turn freely. Any dance store would carry them or you could purchase them on the internet. Capezio and Block (or Bloch?) make the best ones. I have knee problems and they're the best for it. I've been a dance cardio teacher for a few years now and highly suggest them! :-)

-Rachel 

•  06-15-2011, 4:08 PM 111715 in reply to 108737

I use this Jazz shoes:

•  06-17-2011, 9:04 AM 111866 in reply to 111715

I simply *have* to share... I am a shoe-obsessed Jam freak. With equally freakish shoes. Behold! My latest pair from Adidas.

•  07-22-2011, 10:06 AM 114470 in reply to 111866

Nike Dunk shoes like the ones G. have Smile
  •  07-23-2011, 9:44 PM 114545 in reply to 114470

I'm finding that the dunks are super popular, but my personal favorite is a studio shoe by Ryka called "transition"

They are super light, flexible, great sole that is not to slick and not to grippy, and they are versatile enough to use in my other classes.  Perfect shoe for the group fitness junkie :)

View as RSS news feed in XML
-->