Team Teaching

Last post 12-07-2011, 12:03 PM by ymswifeofjds. 6 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  •  11-29-2011, 4:52 PM 122838

Team Teaching

Hi Guys, Ive just recently completed my RPM Module training. I am now in the process of team teaching and have been team teaching for 4 weeks. I have a real passion for RPM and absoultely love it. I take on all the feedback and really try and nail it the next week, I also have a bike at home and pratice where I can

It still takes me quite a day or two to learn the chorey for one track and I have so much to remember that Sometimes I just feel really overwhelmed by it all . I have some good weeks with the team teaching and some bad weeks and despite me teaching freestyle cycle at another gym I still get stagefright sometimes.

I know that I have improved over the 4 weeks but still feel like I have a long way to go. Feel like Im hopeless at the moment even though other gyms where I am not team teaching have picked me up for covrers.

Just wondering if I could get any advice from exprerienced RPM instructors. Will this get any easier? How did you all feel when you started out team teaching? Would love to hear about your experiences/any tips?

•  11-29-2011, 9:25 PM 122851 in reply to 122838

Re: Team Teaching

Hmmm... I recently got certified in RPM, and the choreo was not hard to memorize for me. It took about 2 hours to learn the whole release. Of course, I already taught BodyPump and BodyCombat, so RPM choreo is easy compared to those. With the choreo, what helped for me was just listening to the music A LOT even after I already thought I had it down. Whenever you have a chance, listen to your music and picture the choreo in your head.

Also, using the block objectives (on the page next to the notes) helps you to break up a track into smaller sections which are easier to remember. Then instead of remembering a whole track 6, for instance, you just have to remember Speedwork 1 was this, Speedwork 2 was this, etc...

I hope that helps a little.

•  11-29-2011, 10:15 PM 122854 in reply to 122851

Thanks! RPM is my first program. so learning this is all new. 

Breaking it down into sections seems much easier  

Thanks for the tips, That is very helpful information.Big Smile

•  11-29-2011, 10:15 PM 122855 in reply to 122851

Thanks! RPM is my first program. so learning this is all new. 

Breaking it down into sections seems much easier  

Thanks for the tips, That is very helpful information.Big Smile

•  12-04-2011, 5:52 AM 123094 in reply to 122838

I remember when I first started teaching I felt totally overwhelmed.  I used to say that it felt as if I was on a road with a map and I couldn't quite slow down enough to read the road signs to tell me when I needed to turn.  Sometimes we only do something for 15 seconds and my brain was trying to process what comes next.  Wow! The good news is that it does get easier.  Practice, practice, practice and soon you will be packing your classes and your students will love it. 
  •  12-05-2011, 9:48 AM 123144 in reply to 122855

The educational portion of the RPM53 DVD addresses explicit and implicit learning.   You might find this helpful and adapt each to your available teaching opportunities. 

For learning new releases, my learning goes like this:

1. Listen to the music everywhere: in the car, on the plane, from the computer at work, while riding, etc.

2. Read the choreo once a day.  Usually before sleep is when I retain most.

3. Color copy each track.  This allows me to make my own notes.  Notes may be relevant to a cue, scripting, or an action.  My RPM choreo books remain in perfect conditions--I use the copies as my working doc's. 

4. Dress rehearsal.  I am lucky to have access to our club's bikes during off hours and spend time alone rehearsing in the studio.   The first few attempts I keep my choreo/notes/script on the handles bars and ride just as I would if there were a full class.  The last few attempts my wife will usually ride and critique after.    The very last rehearsal, I ride facing a mirror, no notes, with a metronome.  

I checked my Ipod.  Some tracks I learn easier than others--like the Killers and Linkin Park.  I am a fan of each.  Other tracks, like Poppiholla (T6 RPM50) I have to rehearse 100+ times to get it.   Unfamiliar instrumentals are my kryptonite.   

•  12-07-2011, 12:03 PM 123298 in reply to 122838

I don't really consider myself "experienced" because I've been teaching RPM for for just over year. The good new is that it has gotten a ton easier. I enlarge and copy the chorrey notes and scribble all over them. I use different color highlighters for each riding position. I watch the DVD with this copy and make note of the cues that the instructors use that I really like.

Also, I make sure to read all the notes next to the chorrey. These really do help. Read them several times at different times.

I practice as much as possible on the bike at my gym when the room is available. 

Be encouraged. Once you get it down, the next release will be easier. 
View as RSS news feed in XML
-->