Body Combat 53

Last post 10-04-2012, 4:28 PM by Placebo. 47 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
  •  08-23-2012, 9:10 AM 136148

Body Combat 53

I have to say after watching release 53, I am highly disappointed. Where is the creativity and the fighting essence of BodyCombat? I feel like the production was rushed compared to the previous releases. I hope this gets revived within the future releases.
  •  08-24-2012, 2:14 AM 136183 in reply to 136148

Re: Body Combat 53

So, you watched it and you thought it was easy. Well, I guess every person watch differently, ‘cuz when I watched BC53 for the first time I thought “Auch, that’s gonna hurt.” Probably you were leaving the room a few times, so you missed all the good parts. Anyway, you do know that the programm it’s not for only watching, right, try doing it first and then you can judge it. I mean: try watching BodyPump when they do ”up-up-down-down” for one hour long. You know, it’s different when you actually holding the bar with heavy weights on it and actually doing all those ups-downs. But you know it of course.

As for me, I see all my fave moves in a release ( like back fist, jump ja band stuff) and I get enthousiast. And I’m saying this right away: I’m not really happy with the music choices in the release, but tracks 9 compensates it all. I thought it can’t be better than T9-52, it can. And it hurts even more (didn’t know it was possible). I suspect Skrillex is coming back again for BC54 T9, it would be great if it was true. So, T9 makes it up, along with 3. And 8. 1a is also fine. I am totally in love with track 4 (still loving t.4 in BC52 as well, even after doing it 4-5 times a week for more than for 2 months by now. Love it. Wake me up in the middle of the night for it, it’s like that good for me, totally)

Ok, I’d better say I don’t really feel inspired by the songs chosen for tracks 2 and 6 of BC53, but the choreo makes it up for them. (Swagger Jagger - why, oh WHY THIS song..?! the worst thing about it: it sticks in your head and there’s no way you can switch it off!) Music choices is a personal thing, pain is international, Viva Esquiva! This won’t be the first tracks 6 when I don't like the song, but hardly hear it while teaching just because the track is pretty intense.  Although I’d rather have tracks like Warrior Dance or Spitfire just because  - Come On, it’s BodyCOMBAT! But still: even with that track 6 I’d never have said that  BC53 is something easy or boring or something like that!  Missed that kind of sound in Muai Thai track for like 13 releases, glad it’s back… …maybe I should better write a review of bc53? haha Stick out tongue

Actually what I wanted to say: I disagree with the OP about BC 53. But he’s right: only watching some exersice on dvd, (nevermind what it is) is pretty boring.

•  08-24-2012, 2:21 PM 136197 in reply to 136148

Do the release in class once, and you'll feel differently. It's a solid release and it will tire you out. 
  •  08-24-2012, 7:12 PM 136206 in reply to 136148

I think this will be a middle of the road release for me. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE some of the songs and I despise other ones. I am excited to do it, but alas I am pregnant and my due date is tomorrow (even though i totally taught my classes today, go me!) so I will likely be in recovery when we launch. Makes me want to cry, 

Is it just me though, or do some of these tracks seem very recycled? I know there's a finite number of moves available to combat, but it seems like there was a lot of full combo repetition from releases that arent that old.

Warmup- Finally, one I kind of like... its been a while!

2- Hate. However I do like the jump kicks. Using the "live" recording of this song sucked what little intensity it could have had right out.

3- Interesting song choice, I cant decide until I really get out there and do it. But I like how the choreography reads lol!

4- Like the song, can already tell I will like the choreography

5- Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Although I guess it cant be a home run everytime, and the last few have been excellent!

6- I am really on the fence about this one. I think I hate the song, but I love the choreography, so I am hoping it grows on me.

7- LOVE the song, will make myself love the choreography :) although how can you go wrong with roundhouse knees and elbows?

8- 8s are going downhill for me, its the song choices that are killing them in my opinion. But ever since 51, I will find myself saying, "Hey, at least it isnt the Land of Dance" :)

9- LOVE SKRILLEX, seriously, lets just use his songs for track 9s FOREVER (oh the the choreo looks killer!)

10- Not my favorite cool down, but really, how do you top a Disturbed ISHWILF?

•  08-24-2012, 7:26 PM 136207 in reply to 136206

When I saw track 5 of the previous release I was like, jab cross hook?  That's it?  Ho hum!  But then I practiced it and was like, my shoulders!  Can't...move...
  •  08-25-2012, 9:28 PM 136232 in reply to 136148

I love the song of track 3. That's all I can say, I'm hooked.
  •  08-26-2012, 6:47 AM 136242 in reply to 136232

And I just love all those uppers in track 5! Yes

Actually I think Dan&Rach did pretty good job considering the time they put this release together: right after Hernan's passing away... 

Respect. 

•  08-26-2012, 5:40 PM 136259 in reply to 136242

1A: The back track music from Body Pump 79?  Well, it fits.  And unlike that back track I don't feel like I'm gonna fall out.  Nice to see moves normally not seen in warmups.

1B: Hello 90s!  The song they used is just as good as the original when it was made long ago.  Like I said already, nice to see moves normally not seen in warmups.

2: Three minutes?  Sure doesn't feel like it.  I like this kind of RH kick, where it's to the side.  Easier to execute.  I mean, I could do the other kind of RH from the previous release, but from a new member's POV, this is easier to manage.  Jump kicks are fine even though they usually show up in track 4 but I guess after all those kicks from BC52 we can handle it.  The song is OK.

3: Just like BC50, a track 3 that sounds and feels like it should be a track 5.  I see what they're trying to do though.  Not every track 3 has to sound happy hardcore-ish.  Song and choreo are good and I would enjoy doing this alongside another instructor.

4: Hello 80s.  Awesome song.  Love the choreo, and I LOVE the kata.  It's nice to see them bring something back from an old release and refine it.  In case you don't know it's from Jigga Jigga from release #25 (which was probably from an even older release).  That was a nice track too, but anyway.  Gotta love those side kicks.

5: Sounds like a track 3 song, choreo could be either 3 or 5.  A very inspirational, heart warming song.  All those uppercuts could either be a shoulder destroyer or an oblique strengthener, depending if you stay with form.

6: My glutes cramped up just watching it and just like BC50, when you think it's over, it ain't over.  Looks like I'll need to train in the weight room by doing lunges and SQUATZ.  Cute song.

7: Nice to hear techno music in this track again.  No punches or kicks?!  Just elbows and knees?  It's BC46 all over again.  At least the ascending elbows might help me with my range of motion.  And those super fast RH knees...well let's see how the crowd can handle it.  Overall, nice MT track, choreo and music.

8: There's a thread here called "Pick me an epic track 8."  Well sir or madam, this is your new epic track 8!  Great song with a neverending flurry of punches in the end, and not just jabs either.  Takes me back to Overload, another epic T8.  True Believer could've been a T8 as well but this is fine.

9: Once again they've released a T9 that puts instructors' fitness levels to the test.  I think I'll start the 100 Pushup Program (http:// hundredpushups .com/).  More CX classes might help too.  As for the music.  I like techno and I think dubstep is a new form of techno, so I should like it, right?  I like it.

10: Fitting song for those who like their cooldowns soft and relaxing.  And as I said about T4, I love how they brought back the kata from a previously awesome T4.  I also like how the track ends with that kata.  Better to do all the stretches and end it with the kata in my opinion.

So overall, I like this release more than 52, and I really liked 52.  Is this my favorite release?  It's among my favorite releases, but not my absolute favorite.  My absolute favorite is too close to call between 36, 37, 38, and 39.  Thanks Dan and Rach for giving us another good one and I look forward to launching this release, and for BC54 getting shipped out in November.

•  08-27-2012, 6:10 AM 136272 in reply to 136206

I cannot agree more about the music!  A lot of songs seem really dull and boring. 

MaryJH:

I think this will be a middle of the road release for me. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE some of the songs and I despise other ones. I am excited to do it, but alas I am pregnant and my due date is tomorrow (even though i totally taught my classes today, go me!) so I will likely be in recovery when we launch. Makes me want to cry, 

Is it just me though, or do some of these tracks seem very recycled? I know there's a finite number of moves available to combat, but it seems like there was a lot of full combo repetition from releases that arent that old.

Warmup- Finally, one I kind of like... its been a while!

2- Hate. However I do like the jump kicks. Using the "live" recording of this song sucked what little intensity it could have had right out.

3- Interesting song choice, I cant decide until I really get out there and do it. But I like how the choreography reads lol!

4- Like the song, can already tell I will like the choreography

5- Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Although I guess it cant be a home run everytime, and the last few have been excellent!

6- I am really on the fence about this one. I think I hate the song, but I love the choreography, so I am hoping it grows on me.

7- LOVE the song, will make myself love the choreography :) although how can you go wrong with roundhouse knees and elbows?

8- 8s are going downhill for me, its the song choices that are killing them in my opinion. But ever since 51, I will find myself saying, "Hey, at least it isnt the Land of Dance" :)

9- LOVE SKRILLEX, seriously, lets just use his songs for track 9s FOREVER (oh the the choreo looks killer!)

10- Not my favorite cool down, but really, how do you top a Disturbed ISHWILF?

•  08-28-2012, 9:25 PM 136349 in reply to 136148

I liked the release! I think, Dan and Rachel can make any music work! They are amazing presenters. So many times I did not like the song but after watching them doing it and teaching it, I loved it.

This release looks really hard.
    I can't wait to try it out!!!!

•  09-05-2012, 2:10 AM 136591 in reply to 136349

Okay, so Combat 52 and I were not friends.

Had a break from Combat when this release came out as I found Tracks 2-5 and 8 had me repeatedly singing the chorus of The Tenants "You Sh*t Me To Tears" as they left me feeling so damn flat. Wasn't feeling mentally or physically stimulated with the music or the chor-e as it kind of felt like it was Combat 101. Hadn't felt so deflated with a Combat release since 44 (and just when I thought we were going in the right direction with 50 and 51) so was feeling quite apprehensive about the arrival of 53.

Have just been exposed to four tracks from 53 and I'm feeling like we are back on track to being exactly where I want to be as a participant (i.e. fast and mean keeps delphene keen).

"Shine On". A peppy little track. Speedy, simple combos with lots of jump jabs. Feels very "Attack" when we travel forwards with the jump jabs.

"Sweet Dreams". Happy with this jazzed up rendition and love those side kick tap downs like we had in "Drummer Boy."

"Swagger Jagger". Adore. Before commencing this track the instructor said something to the effect that the key words for this Track 6, were "touch the ground" and "jump". Yep, they surely are. Your fingers will become exceedingly familiar with the floor in this track. Just when you think the knees, front kick and lunge combo and esquiva and lunge combo are all this track is comprised of, in comes the back kick jump knee combo (jump knee, that is if you can manage to get your legs off the ground after all those esquivas and lunges. Ha!). This combo and the rapid esquiva to lunge combo like we had in "Another Way to Die" are the best parts of this release for me so far. It felt like this combo was executed at just the right tempo and I didn't feel the urge to rush the beat as I always did with in "AWTD".

"Blade". The right music. Check! The right tempo. Check! The right chor-e? For me, not quite. Just like with 52s "Seek and Destroy", it is sufficiently fast enough to distract me from the repetitive chor-e. Just how many roundhouse knees??? For me, what lets down the blistering pace of this track, is the addition of the ascending and descending elbows. Just when I want to go faster, they s.. l.. o.... w... e..v..e..r..y..th..i..ng d..o..w...n. The momentum is lost. Would have preferred it if something like a triple elbow (forward, back forward) and two jump scissor knees had been there instead.

I'm only hoping now that the instructor didn't just choose the best tracks of this release to show us, as so far, (apart from the minor niggle with the muay thai), 53 is looking so, so very good Big Smile

•  09-05-2012, 2:39 AM 136593 in reply to 136591

From an Instructors POV, I really love the release Smile

My main concern is the difference between the PPCA-free music (which I have) and the licensed music we had at the workshop.  There are 'silences' and extra counts that I'm left thinking  "okaaay, what's going on there".  I'll find some kind of move to fill it.  But still, almost reminiscent of BC44 PPCA-free, whereby they omitted the lyrics in track 6, making an already difficult timing into something truely horrendous!

Track 4 is my absolute favourite!  Finally, bringing back "Jigga Jigga" KATA armlines!  Coupled with the music, I think this may be my new favourite (sorry "Jigga Jigga" ).    The biggest hurdle I'll face when launching this on Monday morning, is the temptation to sing the song and do the moves, rather than teach the moves  Surprise

I hate the music for track 6, but the moves totally smash my legs.  However, I love the music for track 7 (and the moves).  I am so going to nail participants who try to slack off with Attack knee repeaters.  They think I don't see them...mwhahaha... 

Loving "Bangarang" Yes

•  09-05-2012, 10:53 PM 136627 in reply to 136591

PS: Before someone corrects me, back kick and jump knee was in T4. First impressions track confusion.
  •  09-09-2012, 5:08 AM 136711 in reply to 136627

wow, I really love T5, T7 and T8. The end of T8 was long.

A good strong release. Yes

•  09-09-2012, 6:07 PM 136722 in reply to 136711

Edit: Just like BC51's T4 and 9, BC53's music sounds nice in T10, but the lyrics don't.  I'd prefer not to hear about certain bad things going on in the world or to people, but whatever.  Still gets the job done.
Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
-->