diet for best bodypump results

Last post 09-29-2007, 4:36 AM by metroman. 7 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  •  09-19-2007, 7:09 PM 14469

diet for best bodypump results

I'm just starting out with body pump to slim down & tone.  Since my time is limited I'll only be doing bodypump for excerise but I think it seems like the most effecient use of gym time.

Can someone advice on the how to eat before and after body pump classes to get the max benefit from this workout?

Thanks

j

•  09-19-2007, 8:17 PM 14472 in reply to 14469

Re: diet for best bodypump results

Hey! You sure picked the best workout in the universe to get in shape! Before I teach or take the class I usually eat a little something like half an energy bar, some yogurt, or a little bowl of cereal (not the stuff that's full of sugar!). Everyone is different though---some people get sick if they eat anything before a workout. I can't workout hungry---my body needs fuel!

Just make sure you're drinking plenty of water and are making smart choices ie, whole grains, lean meats, fruits, veggies---you've heard it a million times!

If you like Bodypump and if your gym offers it---try Bodystep! It's an awesome workout and you will see results much quicker if you add cardio to your strength training!

Good luck!

Katie
  •  09-21-2007, 7:17 AM 14508 in reply to 14472

thanks for the info!

I had forgot to mention that I plan to do this workout on my lunch break so I needed to figure out what's best to eat for breakfast ~5hrs before the class and still have enough energy to get through it.

Then since I'm working out during lunch, I'm going to have to do some kind of quick grab-n-go lunch afterwards. 

Is anyone doing a routine like this and can advise on some good eating/planning habits.

thanks again!

j

•  09-21-2007, 8:00 AM 14509 in reply to 14469

I really didn't start seeing results until I started eating 5 small meals a day and eating more protein than anything else.  Also drinking lots of water.  My personal trainer says: 30g protein, 20 grams carbohydrate, and less than 10 grams fat.  That is his take. Everyone is different.
  •  09-21-2007, 10:30 AM 14520 in reply to 14508

WinkYou definitely should stick to all of the staples of a healthy diet-whole grains, lean proteins, fruits and veggies, and making it a 5-meal-a-day affair will keep you metabolism reved up.  A good breakfast would be something like oatmeal (be sure the oats are whole, steel-cut. No instant stuff!) and a few scrambled egg whites with one yolk.  If I am on the go, or just need to get something quick to help my body recover from exercise, I like the EAS Myoplex lite protein shakes.  They have 20 grams of protein, 170 calories, and 2.5 grams of fat.  You do need to make sure that you are eating enough calories to support your activity level, and assist in the recovery and transformation of you body, but at the same time, keep a handle on it so that you will be able to acheive your physical goals of toning, shaping or weight loss. I am by NO means an advocate of any kind of low-carb diet (Stay far away!!), but I do find that cutting down on the carbs in my last meal of the day does help keep me a bit slimmer.  Try not to eat dinner too late, and decrease the amount of carbs in it, because you body and brain don't need as much fuel at that time of the day.  For example, last night my husband and I had Greek snapper, broiled with olive oil, squash casserole, and a salad. Find what works for you, and always listen to your body. Good luck! :)
  •  09-21-2007, 10:58 AM 14522 in reply to 14520

Scotsman2 eats exactly like I do. I have had great results from this diet. Make sure that you have a "free day" or "free meal" every week to satisfy those cravings. You must eat clean 85% to 90% of the time to get good results. But trying to go your whole life without treats just does not work. There may be a few supermen/superwomen out there that can deny themselves ice cream for the rest of their life, but we mere mortals can't, and it sets you up for failure. Overeating (slightly) every week also revs up the metabolism.

It is important to get complete protein within 30 minutes after your BP class. The body is craving protein and it is required for rebuilding the muscle tissue. I use Myoplex lite shakes and drink them on the way home from class.

There is a wealth of information about pre and post workout nutrition on the Internet. Just Google "post workout nutrition".

Good luck!

Steve

•  09-22-2007, 7:47 PM 14645 in reply to 14508

I teach at 12:00 noon every week and stage most of my weekday workouts around this time so I've learned the hard way how important eating something before and after the workout can be.  I forgot to eat my yogurt before teaching my class today and failed in triceps - how embarassing! 

I eat 5 meals a day, balanced while reducing sat. fat and sugar as much as is humanly possible (my margarita and fajita dinner didn't help, but as Steve said you have to treat yourself sometimes!).  I ALWAYS start with breakfast - low-sugar cereal w/ low-fat milk, yogurt+grapenuts (yum) or the like is quick for me, Kashi instant oatmeal (much better than regular instant) or the like before working out, bowl of fresh fruit and turkey wrap for lunch after workout - I hit a grab-and-go place below my office that does a good job, handful of mixed nuts mid-afternoon with my tea (hot, green, nice way to wind down a day), dinner is usually fresh veggies, low-fat soup and maybe an egg, depending on what I want to cook (or not cook!)

Hope that gives you some ideas!

•  09-29-2007, 4:36 AM 15193 in reply to 14469

Body pump is awesome for the muscle tone you will get. But nutrition is easily 85-90%  part of the equation. Combined with RPM the results you will get will give you a celebrity bod no dramas.       If thats what's you want. My nutrition is very simple low gi carbs, ie, multigrain breads, heavy fruit breads, sweet potatoe, apples, manarins. Fat burner protein foods like lean meats, poultry, seafood, prawns, scampi. Negative calorie foods like most fruit and vegetables.     Its not really rocket science I just watch my carbs from time to time.   Some people maybe against caffeine but I drink plenty of it.     According to the Les Mills nz site, it is meant to stop some of the post workout soreness you get from weight training, this is possibly due to its anti-oxidant properties. I'm not a scientist but I know for a fact I train very hard and find this seems to work.              Plus I think it helps reeve up the metabolism slightly.   Thats what works for me.   Also drink plenty of water. Do incidental exercise out of the gym, ride a bike or walk when possible instead of using the car.    Save money, save the environment  and its good for you.
View as RSS news feed in XML
-->