How many calories does a session of body combat burns?

Last post 04-06-2009, 6:29 PM by eskwan. 8 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  •  04-04-2009, 10:39 AM 55522

How many calories does a session of body combat burns?

cause i burn around 500 calories in threadmill,all in all, i burn about 800-1000 calories everytime i go to the gym.... But i'm starting to like body combat.. but my aim this summer vacation is to burn as much calories as possible... and if a body combat session burns less, then i'd rather go back to the boring running in the threadmill again... so please help me and answer the question... thank you very much...
  •  04-05-2009, 5:43 AM 55543 in reply to 55522

Re: How many calories does a session of body combat burns?

Im not an instuctor but I hav been goin to body combat 4 a year now.  I think that u can burn about 500-1000 calories but its up to u it depends how hard u work, the harder u r willing to work in ur class the more calories u are goin to burn.  There is no point in goin to a body combat class and not puttin everything in2 it.  Once u hav caught onto the routine u should b able to put more in 2 ur class.  Well I dont no if this would be good enough nbut since I started I hav lost about 6 stone and I hav went from a size 22 to a size 10 in a year from just doin combat. I would say that u should stick at it if u enjoy it I reckon the more u enjoy it the more calories that u r goin to burn because wen u enjoy it u put more in2 it.
  •  04-05-2009, 6:29 AM 55545 in reply to 55522

It is impossible to determine exactly how many calories YOU will burn during Combat. Your 500, and total of 800-1000, are also broad estimates, regardless of what the machine or HR monitor tells you.  So in other words, don't worry about it. Go do what you can put 100% effort into, and enjoy at the same time. It's impossible for you to know how many you are burning in Combat, but look at it this way: it's plenty.

Fitness, and weight loss, is not just calorie burn. There are piles of benefits that come from doing Combat that don't come from the treadmill. Not saying the treadmill is bad, but if you enjoy Combat and not so much the treadmill, then take Combat and use the treadmill to add variety.

If weight loss is your goal (which is my guess, if you are concerned w/ calories) you should also be doing strength-training, which again has many benefits that has little to do with calories burned. (Even if weight loss is not your goal, you should be doing strength training anyway)

People love these posts for some reason, so I am sure you'll get piles of responses and advice for you to sift through. Good luck! 

•  04-05-2009, 2:49 PM 55554 in reply to 55545

I agree with Katherine - its not an exact science.. depends on your height / weight / how hard you work out...etc... lots of things really.

I make sure in Body Combat I go hard out and I am always covered in sweat at the end, so I know I've burned a lot of calories...

My only comment would be that an hour in a Body Combat class would be a lot more fun that an hour on a treadmill!!  Big Smile

•  04-06-2009, 4:18 AM 55575 in reply to 55522

In a typical 45minute (shortned version) combat session I burn 750Kcals when I go all out (max heart rate 203 - so I do mean go ALL OUT!), and if I hold back just a 'little' around 650kcals. IF we had 1 hour classes, I'd reckon I could reach 1000kcals ;-) :-P

I say stick to combat rather than the treadmill, because a) its way better! b) group achievement, c) you get toned and conditioned, d) the tracks/coreography are designed to make you work with active recovery for effective fat burn..... good luck! :-)

Shark Warrior.
  •  04-06-2009, 4:35 AM 55576 in reply to 55575

203!!!!!

I'm amazed you didn't pass out! lol
  •  04-06-2009, 5:34 AM 55580 in reply to 55576

lol... almost do at 203....thankfully i'm pretty fit and healthy so i can go up that high (am 24 years old too)....

Shark Warrior.
  •  04-06-2009, 2:34 PM 55613 in reply to 55545

katherine:

People love these posts for some reason, so I am sure you'll get piles of responses and advice for you to sift through. Good luck! 

LOL! I'm waiting for the "How many calories can a new instructor expect to burn during initial training" thread Wink

•  04-06-2009, 6:29 PM 55629 in reply to 55613

I guess calorie counting is a common thing when people are conscious of body weight and size.  My advice to everyone is to stop counting calories and just go for the balanced diet and exercise, reduce the amount of processed food and get back to cooking from scratch it makes a big difference.
View as RSS news feed in XML
-->