Does body pump help with weight loss?

Last post 07-14-2009, 4:15 AM by thefitnessguy. 35 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next >
  •  07-11-2009, 10:32 AM 62476

Does body pump help with weight loss?

I am a Body Combat freak... i absoluetly love love love it..

Ive recently been doing body pump aswell.. can anyone tell me does it also help with weight loss or is it mainly for building muscle..

ahhh help me haha!!

•  07-11-2009, 12:22 PM 62477 in reply to 62476

Re: Does body pump help with weight loss?

Hi!

You are going to get answers from people who know much more about this than I do and who can explain it far better (I'm a participant since February), just want to say:

BodyPump is not a bodybuilding program.

It's a great program for strength, endurance, and toning. It does help with fat loss (as long as you don't start eating more/unhealthy of course).

And it's great fun, isn't it?

Big Smile

BODYSTEP, BODYPUMP and BODYBALANCE participant
  •  07-11-2009, 12:59 PM 62478 in reply to 62477

Yes im really enjoying body pump!! So it will def help you lose body fat tho?

And well if you're going to do alot of trainin there would be no point in eating all the junk of the day because then you would just be wastin your time

•  07-11-2009, 5:11 PM 62481 in reply to 62476

Ah, these hoary old chestnuts again. And another example of why it would be useful to have Sticky threads on this forum.

Rather than repeat what's been said before, here are links to some previous discussions:

nadz90:

can anyone tell me does it also help with weight loss

Is BodyPump enough

Weight loss when doing body pump

weight loss question

weight loss with Pump stories please

nadz90:

or is it mainly for building muscle..

Bulk up with bodypump

Muscle Mass

Bodypump makes you muscular

And re: "eating junk"

diet for best bodypump results

PRE-WORK OUT MEAL FOR BODY PUMP 

Hope this helps

The forum member "pipera" is not a Les Mills Instructor, though his posts, signature and profile will falsely claim otherwise.

Since he has been economical with the truth on his profile, read the real facts here.
  •  07-12-2009, 2:37 AM 62493 in reply to 62481

Rick, you should bill LMI for your work. Smile

BODYSTEP, BODYPUMP and BODYBALANCE participant
  •  07-12-2009, 2:48 AM 62494 in reply to 62476

nadz90:

I am a Body Combat freak... i absoluetly love love love it..

Ive recently been doing body pump aswell.. can anyone tell me does it also help with weight loss or is it mainly for building muscle..

ahhh help me haha!!

Cut to the chase:

You can loose 600 calories > in a typical Bodypump class. I only have one study called "Exercise Sequencing For Efficiency and Safety in Bodypump" The sample class I have is from Bodypump's 21 - 24 - 25 - 27 - 28 - 29 where a selection of tracks were used for the study. A long time ago Joe Dome had a range of tests that he ran for the middle sections of Bodypump from the mid 40's series of Bodypump someone may have that out there.

There is an excellent researched document "The Aerobic Demand and Energy Expenditure During Bodypump" by Pfizinger, P and Lythe, J UniSports Centre for Sports Performance 1999" it is an excellent read.

You will loose weight doing a Bodypump class. :)

•  07-12-2009, 3:47 AM 62500 in reply to 62494

A few things need to be clarified here:

pipera:

You can loose 600 calories > in a typical Bodypump class. 

The study you quoted (Ref 1) actually showed that male participants burnt an average of about 480 calories. The peak calorie burn was about 600, which is where LM got that figure from.

So, it would be better to say something along the lines of:

One study showed that a calorie expenditure of 600kcal is achievable.

However, it is worth noting that another trial showed entirely different results with male participants burning on average 315 versus 214 for women (Ref 2).

That other observation you quoted only showed a calorie burn of about 310 (Ref 3)

So which is right? Well probably none of them.

All had very small numbers of subjects and, as such, are not necessarily representative of the wider population.

HRMs are notoriously fickle and unreliable. They depend on good data capture which is not always possible during the dynamic nature of the class. Movement and electrical artefact make them over- and under-read all the time (based on personal experience).

Also note that the calorie-expenditure algorithms are based on consistent cardio exercise like running or cycling rather than variable-intensity conditioning exercise like BP. So results will be a vague guide at best. The only way to know for sure would be indirect calorimetry, but that would be utterly impractical.

Not forgetting of course, calorie burn is enormously dependent on a huge number of variables including weight lifted, hence becomes a very individual thing

In any case all of this is irrelevant for the following reason:

pipera:

You will lose weight doing a Bodypump class.

Any exercise can, rather than will, make you lose weight. However, it depends crucially on diet.

As a simple example - I could burn the claimed 600 calories in a BP class, then go and chow down 800 calories worth of chocolate. If I do this every time I certainly won't be losing any weight .... in fact, quite the opposite.

(Ref 1 - corrected): Pfitzinger P, Lythe J. The aerobic demand and energy expenditure during BODYPUMP. Auckland: University of Auckland, 1999:17

(Ref 2) Stanforth D, Stanforth PR, Hoemeke MP. Physiologic and metabolic responses to a BodyPump workout. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 2000;14(2):144-150

(Ref 3) Exercise sequencing for efficiency and safety in BodyPump. Les Mills (internal analysis) 2002

The forum member "pipera" is not a Les Mills Instructor, though his posts, signature and profile will falsely claim otherwise.

Since he has been economical with the truth on his profile, read the real facts here.
  •  07-12-2009, 4:25 AM 62502 in reply to 62500

Warmup = BP 30
    Squats = 49.4 calories BP 24
    Chest = 47 calories BP 25
    Back = 51.9 calories BP 27
    Triceps = 35.2 calories BP 27
    Biceps = 39 calories BP 27
    Lunges = 42.8 calories BP 28
    Shoulders = 44.6 calories BP 21
    Abs = BP 29
    Cooldown = BP 29

= 310 Calories from that class.

• Exercise Sequencing for Efficiency and Safety in Bodypump.
  • Check out also Body Pump: The "World's Fastest Way" to Get in Shape? at the factsaboutfitness dot com they have a study over there.

•  07-12-2009, 4:36 AM 62503 in reply to 62502

pipera:

Check out also Body Pump: The "World's Fastest Way" to Get in Shape? at  thefactsaboutfitness.com they quote a study over there.

Yes - Ref 2 from my post above.

Link here

•  07-13-2009, 12:46 AM 62552 in reply to 62502

pipera:

Warmup = BP 30
    Abs = BP 29
    Cooldown = BP 29

• Check out also Body Pump: The "World's Fastest Way" to Get in Shape? at the factsaboutfitness dot com they have a study over there.

Well, that doesn't actually help really now does it?

There's no info on the person, as in height,weight, build, weights pushed at all.

So, irrelevant.

I think I'll(mis) quote Jason/thefitnessguy here..along the lines of "if you start with nothing, and do something, something will happen" ( sorry Jase for the paraphrasing)..and, as Rick says.. all well and good to go burn the calories,unless you go and "reward" yourself with extra ones afterwards..

Ratios of intake and output to keep it simple..move more, eat less(junk)..and yes, I am aware of more complex ideas..

•  07-13-2009, 1:15 AM 62553 in reply to 62552

I interpreted the question as asking about fat (weight) loss that can be achieved from BP compared to other programs.

1. Any exercise can help with fat loss, if it contributes to total calories 'out' exceeding total calories 'in'.

2. If you use BP as a strength building program, ie by progressively and sensibly increasing your weights in conjunction with good nutritional building blocks, you'll gain muscle (bearing in mind that BP isn't a 'bulking' program due to the high reps). Muscle is heavier than fat, so you mightn't lose 'weight', but you'll certainly gain a) tone, and b) the ability to keep burning calories at rest.

•  07-13-2009, 5:27 AM 62574 in reply to 62552

fitgirl1:
    pipera:

Warmup = BP 30
    Abs = BP 29
    Cooldown = BP 29

= 310 Calories from that class

There's no info on the person, as in height,weight, build, weights pushed at all.

So, irrelevant.

No kidding!

Most of all because there is no report on the calorie "burn" during tracks 1, 9 and 10. Sure these aren't exactly renown as being the big "burner" tracks, but it's not like aerobic respiration switches off completely, so some expenditure will still occur.

Thus the 310 score, which was on pretty shaky ground already, loses all credibility

•  07-13-2009, 10:47 AM 62607 in reply to 62552

fitgirl1:
    pipera:

Warmup = BP 30
    Abs = BP 29
    Cooldown = BP 29

So, irrelevant.

I think I'll(mis) quote Jason/thefitnessguy here..along the lines of "if you start with nothing, and do something, something will happen" ( sorry Jase for the paraphrasing)..and, as Rick says.. all well and good to go burn the calories,unless you go and "reward" yourself with extra ones afterwards..

Ratios of intake and output to keep it simple..move more, eat less(junk)..and yes, I am aware of more complex ideas..

Well, it's not completely irrelevant... The study was about average caloric expenditure across the main tracks of a BodyPump workout - so it gives a decent overview. It's based upon older Pump tracks so should be taken with that in context - and (as has been observed previously) only shows calorie burn for the weighted main section of the workout. Any calorie burn estimates taken from doing weight training using an HRM should be treated fairly loosely anyway.

However, the study was from a small sample of men and women (IIRC) - and I cannot recall what their exercise history was either...

But, of course, the answer to the original question is - yes, of course it will help - as others have said, any exercise will help with weight loss...

•  07-13-2009, 12:47 PM 62618 in reply to 62476

no, body pump will only build extreme mass.  women shouldnt even come unless they want to change sexes and turn into a manly bodybuilder.  im pretty sure that one class w challenging weight will build so much muscle your jeans will bust like your the hulk.  

This is why you see so many HUGE guys in class, because all the guys from the weight room know that bodypump is better for them to get huge than heavy weights in free weight section. 

i know this is true because ALL women tell me that they cant do bp because they put on mass so easily.            no bp wont make you thin at all.  youll prob  actually get fatter after a class, because you sweat so much and work so hard.

no dont take body pump bc we all know that high reps with low weight is the quickest way to get JACKED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ARRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i used to think differently but so many women have told me im wrong that i must be.  huh.

•  07-13-2009, 4:23 PM 62635 in reply to 62607

ck1-:

Well, it's not completely irrelevant... 

I'm sorry Kevin but it is. This type of psuedo-scientific "study" serves no purpose other that to show that doing exercise requires some energy. Well, we already knew that.

The quoted calorie output figure is equally pointless, for reasons given in posts above. They might as well have used a random number generator.

Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML
-->