how high should heart rate go before its dangerous??

Last post 01-28-2010, 7:01 PM by HellRazoR. 8 replies.

Rate thread:
Sort Posts:
Previous Next
  •  01-26-2010, 11:10 AM 75559

how high should heart rate go before its dangerous??

I'm a 33 yr old female and my resting heart rate is usually between 76-82.  Two questions....is this high for a resting heart rate?  When doing body step for the first time last night, I had to stop in between tracks because I felt my heart was beating real fast.  My monitor said my heart rate was 184. Is this too high?? I got really scared and stopped after 15 minutes.  I dont understand why my heart was going so fast. I can do 50 minutes of billy blanks tae bo and I dont think my heart beats THAT hard

how high is too high for a heart rate and when should you stop? I wasnt going overboard or anything and I didnt even have any risers on the step.  Is it safe to attempt again?  (I do not have any medical histories of anything, nor do I take any prescription drugs..Ive also been doing pump 2 or 3 times a week for about a month and a half)

•  01-26-2010, 1:42 PM 75575 in reply to 75559

Re: how high should heart rate go before its dangerous??

Resting heart rate should be measured immediately after you wake up in the morning and before you get out of bed.  If measuring it during the day lie still for 10 minutes first (and avoid coffee beforehand).  That should be 10-15 beats a minute lower than measuring it while sitting down.

The maximum rate can go high for strenuous activities especially if your body is not used to them.  The heart beats to get oxygen to the muscles so as you become more aerobically fit then it can deliver the required oxygen with fewer beats.  When I first started Attack I would peak at the low 190s.  Now I have to push very hard to get it to the high 160s.  

Generally people don't need to worry about having a high heart rate when exercising.  The real worry is if it ever hits a value of 0 Smile

Have a google for the Karvonen method of calculating suggested heart rate values.  It is based on your resting heart rate (which will drop as you become more aerobically fit) and so is more accurate for you than the old method which involves only age. 

Arrest this man, he talks in maths.
  •  01-27-2010, 7:40 AM 75628 in reply to 75575

Thanks!!!
  •  01-27-2010, 10:23 AM 75638 in reply to 75575

TennisElbow:

Resting heart rate should be measured immediately after you wake up in the morning and before you get out of bed.  If measuring it during the day lie still for 10 minutes first (and avoid coffee beforehand).  That should be 10-15 beats a minute lower than measuring it while sitting down.

The maximum rate can go high for strenuous activities especially if your body is not used to them.  The heart beats to get oxygen to the muscles so as you become more aerobically fit then it can deliver the required oxygen with fewer beats.  When I first started Attack I would peak at the low 190s.  Now I have to push very hard to get it to the high 160s.  

Generally people don't need to worry about having a high heart rate when exercising.  The real worry is if it ever hits a value of 0 Smile

Have a google for the Karvonen method of calculating suggested heart rate values.  It is based on your resting heart rate (which will drop as you become more aerobically fit) and so is more accurate for you than the old method which involves only age. 

Yes

I'm a few years older than you and consider myself quite fit. My true resting heart rate (taken first thing in the morning after waking up naturally, NOT for an alarm!) is 50. My resting heart rate during 'normal' daytime activities is around 62-67, so quite a difference, but as explained above, it's normal. I do BC, BA, BS, BP amongst other physical activities and my heart rate has peaked in BA and BS very similar, 174-175. That is very close to my maximum HR! I can sustain that for quite a while, but I guess it is due to the fact that I've been exercising regularly for a long time and I am used to it. It does get easier as you "train your heart"...

•  01-27-2010, 5:46 PM 75683 in reply to 75559

Please don't use the Karvonean formula-it's considered out of date by most fitness professionals and please don't compare your heart rate with anyone elses.  Find a qualified trainer or group ex instructor that is trained to execute sub max heart rate tests and have him or her perform one on you. The other option is to find an exercise lab and have a VO2 max test done-they are expensive-$200.00 up.  It can be dangerous to exercise at your max-let's take me-my estimated max according to the sub max tests is 206.  I've never been over 187.  When I did hit 187 I could only sustain it less than 20 seconds-you're body will force you to slow down.  I regularly work in the 165-175 range with no problem.  Although age has nothing to do with it I am 51.  Gender plays a factor-women have smaller hearts and they beat more often.  Fitness will not change your max HR BUT will change how high you can work.  When I first started exercising many years ago (20 to be exact) if my HR got to 140 I was sucking wind-now 140 is a breeze and I start sucking wind any where from168-175 depending on nutrition and environment.  Hope this helps-good luck

•  01-27-2010, 9:10 PM 75695 in reply to 75559

How fast is too fast to drive on a twisty mountain road? Do you watch your speedometer or the road ahead?

If you can't keep your eyes off your HRM, the best advice to you is leave it at home.

All a HRM can do is tell you what your peak heart rate was if you make it through the class, or tell the forensic team what your peak heart rate was before you died.

I don't think you're in very good shape, otherwise you'd know when you're about to cash out.

Yeah, leave the HRM at home and don't try to kill yourself in class.  Instructors hate it when that happens.

Check out my facebook page. I'm always looking for a few good friends. Oh, Excuse me... May I motivate you?
  •  01-28-2010, 1:05 AM 75700 in reply to 75695

There have been other threads about HRMs and what good they do/don't.

I have one (a HRM, not a thread) lying around, have never used it since I haven't yet decided what I would want to do with the information.

I don't believe in too much technology at this level of exercising (not elite), though I understand many think it's fun to see the numbers and feel they have use for them. I usually just listen to my body. If I gasp for air I should probably slow down a bit. If it feels easy, I should up intensity.

BODYSTEP, BODYPUMP and BODYBALANCE participant
  •  01-28-2010, 2:26 AM 75709 in reply to 75683

Jpgirl:

Please don't use the Karvonean formula-it's considered out of date by most fitness professionals 

I am quite surprised to hear that. I am currently studying for a college exam in Exercise Programming and the Karvonen formula is very much part of the curriculum. In fact it is something we MUST know for the assessment.

???

•  01-28-2010, 7:01 PM 75768 in reply to 75559

butterflyz027:
    I'm a 33 yr old female and my resting heart rate is usually between 76-82.  Two questions....is this high for a resting heart rate?  When doing body step for the first time last night, I had to stop in between tracks because I felt my heart was beating real fast.  My monitor said my heart rate was 184. Is this too high?? I got really scared and stopped after 15 minutes.  I dont understand why my heart was going so fast. I can do 50 minutes of billy blanks tae bo and I dont think my heart beats THAT hard

how high is too high for a heart rate and when should you stop? I wasnt going overboard or anything and I didnt even have any risers on the step.  Is it safe to attempt again?  (I do not have any medical histories of anything, nor do I take any prescription drugs..Ive also been doing pump 2 or 3 times a week for about a month and a half)

I play ALOT of DDR and once I wore a HR monitor, measured around 210 during a really tough song, I was concerned and also winded.  Anyways talked to the DR about it, he said not to worry about the peak HR and that 210 was fine for me.  I'm 32 years old, oh and the song that I used to think was really tough isn't that hard anymore although there are tougher songs that still get my HR way up there but I don't even measure it since the DR said not to worry.  Seems like there is no Maximum HR, although my resting is between 48-55 or something like that which my DR says is really good.  Just ask your DR if you are concerned and if you have symptoms other than high HR or being winded, just low options until you gain your strength then go for it some more!!! 

"Too often we...enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." —John F. Kennedy Body Pump Intercession Song - Download Link http://www.mediafire.com/?lubobvs6s7su7sj
View as RSS news feed in XML
-->