Are you ready to inspire and motivate people to change their lives? Whether you’ve been teaching for years, or you're just starting your journey, we’ll give you everything you need for a successful career as a Les Mills Instructor.
INITIAL TRAINING OVERVIEW
- Train as an Instructor in any of our programs – the choice is yours
- The 2-day course is usually run over a Saturday and Sunday (around 8 hours each day) and you can choose to attend either an in person training event or an online training event.
- You’ll receive comprehensive training materials, including music and choreography
- World-class trainers take you through the training, step by step
- By the end of the weekend, you’ll learn how to safely and effectively teach the Les Mills program of your choice
- We expect great things from our Instructors, so to demonstrate your skills are up to scratch, you’ll also need to submit an assessment video within 60 days of completing your Initial Training
- All certifications must be completed within six months of you attending training.
Ready to book?
WHEN AND WHERE IS TRAINING?
Initial training is run over two days online from the comfort of your home or in person at locations around the country, usually at one of our partner clubs.
We run these events throughout the year, so you’ll have plenty of options to choose from.
WHAT CAN I TEACH?
We offer a wide variety of different training programs - everything from strength-based workouts, to dance, HIIT, cycling and more. View our workouts
If you’re not sure what to train in, talk to the instructors at your local gym, or get in touch and we’ll be happy to help.
You might also like to see which clubs and facilities in your area offer the workout you're interested in teaching.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT TRAINING
Designed to fit different learning styles, your course will include lectures, group discussions, practical workout sessions and teaching practice.
- Class structure and benefits
- How to interpret, understand and learn choreography
- How to perform and evaluate correct exercise technique
- Why exercises are executed in a particular way
- How to coach the class so that it is both safe and inspirational
- How to create a memorable, fun and effective workout experience
Between 8 - up to 24 participants.
How to prepare
- We recommend you attend plenty of Les Mills classes before attending your training, so you're well prepared
- You’ll receive your training materials - including a video of the release you're going to learn and pre-work to help you prepare for training about 10 days before your training starts
- You’ll be given two tracks to learn and you need to practice them until you’re able to present with just the music playing – not looking at your notes
- We recommend you set aside a few hours to learn the choreography and practice the release.
What are the fitness requirements?
- Your training will be physically and mentally challenging, involving practical and theoretical components
- It's designed for participants who are experienced in fitness classes, in good mental health and physically fit
- If you’re unsure about your fitness level, consult your doctor before registering – please don’t put yourself at risk.
What do I need for training?
- Your Instructor Handbook
- A smartphone or iPod, to access your training materials
- Pen and paper for taking notes
- A change of clothes – you will sweat!
- Food and water
- A laptop or tablet so that you can review your allocated tracks as homework after the first day.
- Online Only: You will need a stable internet connection, access to a computer or mobile device (with a microphone) and camera for the duration of the training
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER INITIAL TRAINING?
After you’ve successfully completed your two days of training, you must submit a video of yourself teaching a full class. You’ll have sixty days to prepare and submit your video.
We recommend you spend as much time as possible shadow-teaching with existing instructors to prepare for your video submission.
To pass, you’ll need to show competency in:
Online Participants and Participants who receive a pass pending at Online Initial Training will submit their 1 track video for assessment prior to recording a full class. More information on submission requirements and how to present a successful video will be provided at your training.
More information on how to present a successful video will be provided at your training.
ONGOING SUPPORT FROM LES MILLS
We create the world’s best training programs and develop the world’s best instructors to teach them.
As a Les Mills Instructor, we'll support you with research, marketing and new workouts every three months.
You get to share great music and cutting-edge science that helps people fall in love with fitness.
You also become part of our team of over 140,000 certified instructors in 100 countries around the world.
We are continually evolving and innovating, as we shape the future of fitness.
Ready to start your journey with us?
We want to be upfront and avoid surprises down the line, so here’s the bottom line on what’s required to become certified and stay certified:
- You must attend 100% of your Initial Training – no exceptions
- You’ll need access to a computer and internet to download your training materials
- Are you pregnant? Please read our Pregnancy Disclaimer before booking your training
- Our cancellation policy is set out in our Purchase Terms which is available to read as you go through the booking process.
- If you are unsure about the level of your fitness for any reason, including injury, sickness or pregnancy, you should consult your medical adviser before registering for the training and should not participate if your health or ability to exercise is at risk.
- If reasonably requested by us, you agree to provide us with clearance from a licensed medical professional. If you are not able to provide such clearance - or if it otherwise reasonably appears to us at any time that your health might be at risk - we reserve the right to ask you to leave training (and your assessment video will not be accepted). If this happens, there will be no refund for the price paid for the training. However, at our discretion, we may transfer your training to another date or program.
- Attending Initial Training does not guarantee certification. You’ll also need to submit an assessment video within 60 days, and receive a ‘PASS’ for both your training and your video to complete your certification and be able to teach our classes.
- You will only be able to film in a facility licensed for the program you're learning to teach
- You are required to have a minimum of five visible participants in your assessment video
- Online Only: You will need a stable internet connection and access to a computer or mobile device with microphone and camera for the duration of the training. To help with your learning and development during training you will send a video recording of you teaching the assigned track and 5 technique demo moves directly to the trainer no less than 5 days prior to training. Specific directions will be shared after registration.