Are you ready to inspire and motivate people to change their lives? Whether you’ve been teaching for years, or you're just starting your journey, we’ll give you everything you need for a successful career as a Les Mills Instructor.
Les Mills Initial Training
INITIAL TRAINING OVERVIEW
- Train as an Instructor in any of our programs – the choice is yours
- The 2-day course is run over a Saturday and Sunday (around 8 hours each day)
- You’ll receive comprehensive training materials, including music and choreography
- World-class trainers take you through the training, step by step
- By the end of the weekend, you’ll learn how to safely and effectively teach the Les Mills program of your choice
- An assessment video is due 60 days after you've successfully completed your Initial Training, and all certifications must be complete within six months of you attending training.
Ready to book?
WHEN AND WHERE IS TRAINING?
Initial Training is run over a weekend at locations around the country, usually at one of our partner clubs.
We run these events throughout the year, so you’ll have plenty of options to choose from.
WHAT CAN I TEACH?
We offer 16 different training programs – everything from BODYPUMP to SH’BAM to our BORN TO MOVE series for kids and teens. View our workouts
If you’re not sure what to train in, talk to the instructors at your local facility, or get in touch and we’ll be happy to help.
You might also like to see which clubs and facilities in your area offer the workout you're interested in teaching.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The standard registration price is $299.
We offer a discount if you register more than 30 days before training starts.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT TRAINING
Designed to fit different learning styles, your course will include lectures, group discussions, practical workout sessions and teaching practice.
- Class structure and benefits
- How to interpret, understand and learn choreography
- How to perform and evaluate correct exercise technique
- Why exercises are executed in a particular way
- How to coach the class so that it is both safe and inspirational
- How to create a memorable, fun and effective workout experience
Between 8 - 16 people.
How to prepare
- We recommend you attend plenty of Les Mills classes before attending your training, so you're well prepared
- You’ll receive your training materials - including a video of the release you're going to learn, about 10 days before your training starts
- You’ll be given two tracks to learn and you need to practice them until you’re able to present with just the music playing – not looking at your notes
- We recommend you set aside a few hours to learn the choreography and practice the release.
What are the fitness requirements?
- Your training will be physically and mentally challenging, involving practical and theoretical components
- It's designed for participants who are experienced in fitness classes, in good mental health and physically fit
- If you’re unsure about your fitness level, consult your doctor before registering – please don’t put yourself at risk.
What should I bring with me?
- Your Instructor Handbook
- Your training release, on an iPod or similar device. You can also access it through the Les Mills Releases App on an iOS or Android device
- Pen and paper for taking notes
- A change of clothes – you will sweat!
- Snacks and water
- We recommend bringing a laptop or tablet so that you can review your allocated tracks as homework after the first day.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER INITIAL TRAINING?
After you’ve successfully completed your two days of training, you must submit a video of yourself teaching your full training release. You’ll have sixty days to prepare and submit your video.
We recommend you spend as much time as possible shadow-teaching with existing instructors to prepare for your video submission.
To pass, you’ll need to show competency in:
More information on how to present a successful video will be provided at your training.
ONGOING SUPPORT FROM LES MILLS
We create the world’s best training programs and develop the world’s best instructors to teach them.
As a Les Mills Instructor, we'll support you with research, marketing and new workouts every three months.
You get to share great music and cutting-edge science that helps people fall in love with fitness.
You also become part of our tribe of 130,000 certified instructors in 100 countries around the world.
We are continually evolving and innovating, as we shape the future of fitness.
Ready to start your journey with us?
We want to be upfront and avoid surprises down the line, so here’s the bottom line on what’s required to become certified and stay certified:
- You must attend 100% of your Initial Training – no exceptions
- You’ll need access to a computer and internet to download your training materials
- Are you pregnant? Please read our Pregnancy Disclaimer this before booking your training
- Cancellation policy – see our Purchase Terms to view our full cancellation policy
- If you are unsure about the level of your fitness for any reason, including injury, sickness or pregnancy, you should consult your medical adviser before registering for the training and should not participate if your health or ability to exercise is at risk.
- If reasonably requested by us, you agree to provide us with clearance from a licensed medical professional. If you are not able to provide such clearance - or if it otherwise reasonably appears to us at any time that your health might be at risk - we reserve the right to ask you to leave training (and your assessment video will not be accepted). If this happens, there will be no refund for the price paid for the training. However, at our discretion, we may transfer your training to another date or program.
- Attending Initial Training does not guarantee certification. You’ll also need to submit an assessment video within 60 days, and receive a ‘PASS’ for both your training and your video to complete your certification and be able to teach our classes.
- You will only be able to film in a facility licensed for the program in which you attended training
- Affiliation with a licensed facility is required for BORN TO MOVE, LES MILLS GRIT, LES MILLS SPRINT, and SH'BAM as a minimum of five visible participants are required in the assessment video for these programs.