One of the fastest ways to establish healthy habits is to follow my favorite vitality tips – these are basically effort-free ways to make healthy living easy!
- Keep a one week food diary to make sure you’re hitting all your nutrient goals (try using the free app MyFitnessPal).
- Every week sample a new seasonal vegetable (or vegetable recipe) you’ve never tried before.
- Improve your vegetable and fruit intake by stocking up on frozen and canned goods. Check labels to make sure there’s no added salt, sugar or sweeteners.
- Don’t be afraid of fructose but try to have your fruit before 4pm each day.
- When you go to a restaurant, broaden your tastes and maximize your nutrients by trying out the most interesting vegetarian dish on the menu.
- Anticipate your low energy times of day and plan in advance for a nutrient-packed snack.
- If you’re tempted to eat when you’re not truly hungry, distract yourself with an activity incompatible with eating such as playing with your pet or cleaning your teeth.
You can find more advice on the best fuel for your body here.
- Encourage your body to wind down at night by keeping daily deadlines for your final stimulant of the day – last coffee, laptop close, final phone screen scroll.
- Manage your sleeping environment for optimal rest – keep your room tidy, temperate and free of blue light from electronic devices.
- Measure your sleep. Use a sleep app to check you’re meeting your goals and track your progress over time.
- Set a weekday bedtime that’s appropriate for your nature and your household. Structure your habits to adhere to it most days.
- Getting ready for bed can be tiring so get organized early while you still have the energy. Try starting on your following day preparations early evening or even afternoon.
You can learn more about establishing good sleep habits here.
- Reach your water quota by starting early in the day - one with breakfast, two before 10am, two before 1pm, two before 4pm, one with dinner.
- Line up multiple water bottles in your fridge and grab one every time you hop in the car.
- Motivate yourself to drink more water by investing in multiple cool-looking bottles that you enjoy using.
- Reach your daily water quota via a variety of formats – water bottles, decaffeinated herbal tea, water cooler at work, sparkling water at dinner.
- Look for opportunities to add water into your daily life, for example always have a glass in a meeting or while you wait for takeaway coffee.
- Make it your policy to never say no to a glass of water when you’re offered one.
You can learn more about smart hydration here.
GENERAL WELLNESS TIPS
- Fresh air, sunshine and green space all help with mental wellness, try to take time outside every day.
- Do some stretches at your desk during your work day to increase blood circulation to your brain.
- Make meditation part of your daily routine. You can try the LES MILLS On Demand mind/body series, or download a meditation app.
- Once or twice a week try having a bath or reading a book instead of watching TV.
- A schedule that’s too busy can sap your vitality. Consider streamlining your commitments so you can give better energy to the most important things and enjoy them more.
- Do what you love! Take time to pursue the hobbies and interests that you enjoy, these activities will invigorate and energize you.
Claire Bellingham is a New Zealand-based personal trainer and nutritionist who specializes in low-fuss, family friendly fitness and weight loss solutions for busy people. In addition to working one-on-one with clients, Claire an expert adviser who contributes regularly to the LES MILLS™ On Demand online community.
If you want more health and fitness inspiration simply sign up to Fit Planet and get the freshest insights and advice straight to your inbox.